Young (Ernest C.) Hall (YONG)
At 10stories and nearly 215,000 gross square feet, it is hard to miss Young Hall, situated near the center of campus on the corner of Grant and Wood streets.
The building houses the Graduate School, Purdue Polytechnic Institute’s Department of Technology and Leadership Innovation, as well as the headquarters for Information Technology at Purdue, known as ITaP.
Built in 1962, Young Hall was originally called the Graduate House. It contained offices, classrooms, lounge areas, meeting rooms and dormitory space for about 700 grad students. Between 2003 and 2012, Young Hall was renovated into office space.
This building is named after Ernest C. Young, a notable agricultural economist who helped organize Purdue’s graduate school. Young was named dean of the graduate school in 1942, and he was appointed as the University’s first vice president for research in 1961.