The Purdue Mall features a distinctive fountain and several green spaces where students enjoy down-time between classes and is the site of many campus events.
The Purdue Mall Water Sculpture (often referred to as the engineering fountain) was donated by the Class of 1939 in observance of the group’s 50th anniversary in 1989. The structure, sculpted by Robert Youngman, is 60 feet in diameter and 38 feet high and includes 280 lights and 228 tons of concrete. When operational, 36 nozzles drive as much as 588 gallons of recycled water per minute.
Several engineering buildings, the main administration building Hovde Hall and the Office of Admissions in Schleman Hall border the fountain.