Standing 163 feet tall, the Bell Tower is a focal point (and a beacon for anyone lost) on campus. This tower holds four of the original bells from the Heavilon Hall bell tower, which was razed in 1956.
The bells toll regularly to mark the time and class periods. A special lunch hour concert can be heard at 12:21 p.m. daily and a serenade at 7 p.m. The carillon plays "Hail Purdue" at 5 p.m. and the "Alma Mater" just after l0 p.m.
The roman numeral for 4 appears as "IIII," not "IV" on the clockface. This is how a traditional clock is typically faced, but some like to think it was just because "IV" looked a bit too much like "IU."